Just the sheer mention of Australia Day gets me thinking of BBQ food, the smell of sunscreen and a freezing cold beverage. Did you know that the 2 animals who are on our coat of arms, the Emu & Kangaroo – the reason for this being that neither animal can walk backwards, but instead can always go forwards, symbolising Australia’s desire to do the same!!
Here are my top 5 tips for having the best day on Australia Day this year!
1. MUSIC – It wouldn’t be Australia Day without the Triple J Top 100 countdown – ensure you have your speakers set up to blast the years best music. If you don’t like the countdown – create your own Australia Day countdown on itunes and play until your heart is content!!
2. WATER – It wouldn’t be Australia Day if you werent spending it around water. We always start off at the local pool for a swim and the council normally put on a breakfast for the community – if you arent fortunate enough to have this – sniff out the closest friend to you with a pool!! It is a great way to spend the day and always great for the kids!! We also bought a blow up pool one year to keep us cool during this awesome day!! Also don’t forget to stay hydrated
3. ALCOHOL – It wouldn’t be Australia Day if there wasn’t alcohol involved and my fav beverage for Australia Day is a shandy! Whats better than an ice cold beer on this awesome day? Just add lemonade and you’ve the best beverage EVER!! Always remember to stock your beer fridge the day before Australia Day as most places are closed! Even stock your freezer with Ice for the kids drinks!
4. FOOD – What celebration isnt complete without food? Click here for my fail proof Potato Bake, Coleslaw, Potato Salad and 4 dips with 4 or less ingredients! Don’t forget the snags and prawns! Personally you cant go wrong with whatever you eat but remember this day is a celebration and is just as important as Christmas Day!
5. COMPANY – The people you spend your day with is just as important as the top 4 things above! Create memories with the people you share this day with – mine is always spent with my husband and my children! My kids love getting dressed up in their Australia Day shirts and hats and spending the day in their bathers! There really is no better day to celebrate this AWESOME country of ours!!