For creatures you can’t even see, dust mites can stir up a lot of trouble! These little critters can cause havoc especially for those with sensitivities and are a known trigger of asthma and allergies.
For me personally when we were asked to review the Bosisto’s Dust Mite range, I was particularly keen. In our household I have a teenage daughter with Asthma and two little Mr’s who have Eczema. So I am always keeping an eye on the market for products that are natural alternatives.
What we knew before trialling is Bosisto’s Dust Mite range is based on natural eucalyptus oil and contains no harmful chemicals. It can help naturally control dust mites which are a major trigger of allergies and asthma.
My first test was going to be the fragrance test, we found Bosisto’s Eucalyptus Oil has a clean and balanced, stronger, longer-lasting fragrance than other eucalyptus oils. We easily tested this by dabbing some Bosisto’s Eucalyptus Oil on the back of our hand, then a different brand on the other hand. We left for 10 minutes and then seen which has the stronger residual fragrance. The other we found evaporated quickly and left little fragrance.
Laundry is always another area that can affect the allergies in our family. So when we did our research I was please to know the entire Bosisto’s laundry range has been clinically tested and proven kind to sensitive skin. It’s also earth friendly – 100% biodegradable with no fillers, minimal phosphates and sodium and no sodium laurel sulphate, bleaches, synthetic fragrances or dyes. Includes the power of antibacterial eucalyptus oil for a wonderful, natural aroma throughout your wash.
One question I was keen to have answered was the smell of our clothing after. Pleased to report AMAZING FRESH and CRISP! I have found with other brands in the allergy ranges of laundry detergent our clothes had a funky smell hard to describe but funky is the word I will use.
Last but not least I want to share with you from the Bosisto’s website some information we found IMPORTANT when it comes to dust mites and allergies:
Dust mite allergies are one of the most common forms of allergies, with studies suggesting that over 80% of asthma and allergy suffers are allergic to the microscopic creatures and their allergens.
The simple fact is even the cleanliest of homes can have hundreds and thousands of them; particularly in Australia where our warm, humid conditions provide the perfect breeding ground. Feeding off dander they thrive where people and pets spend the most time, so your bedding, carpets and pet areas are hot spots.
Did you know?
The weight of the average mattress doubles after ten years due to dust mite infestation, and the weight of the average pillow increases 10% after one year.
Studies have revealed that dust mites themselves are not the cause of allergic reactions, in fact their droppings and dead body parts are.
When people are “allergic” their immune system reacts in an abnormal way to these specific particles when they come in to contact with or inhale them. In a person with asthma this can cause the airways to narrow, making it more difficult to breathe.
Other common symptoms include:
•Itchy eyes and throat – rhinitis
•Skin rash – eczema
How can you minimise these pesky critters around your home?
Based on studies by Sydney University, it has been found that eucalyptus oil can kill 99% of dust mites and their reaction causing allergens. From this research Bosisto’s have specifically formulated their Dust Mite Wash and Dust Mite Spray to naturally reduce dust mites in your home.
– Regular washing of bed linen, blankets, quilts and bedspreads in a eucalyptus solution will help control dust mite colonies. Add Bosisto’s Eucalyptus Dust Mite Wash to the washing machine and soak before washing on a warm cycle.
– If possible expose blankets, quilts, rugs and bedspreads to direct sunlight for several hours each week. Note: A recent study found special allergen bedding covers – DAC covers – were ineffective as a single means of dust mite control.1
– Smaller items and fluffy toys can be put in a plastic bag and frozen for four hours each fortnight. In between, spray non-machine washable items – including mattresses – with Bosisto’s Eucalyptus Spray.
– Dust all surfaces two-three times a week with a damp cloth moistened with Bosisto’s Eucalyptus Oil or Spray. Avoid chemical cleaning solutions and sprays.
– Make sure rooms are well lit and ventilated.
– For hard floor surfaces (eg. vinyl, cork or wood) mop weekly by adding a capful of Bosisto’s Eucalyptus Oil to your mop bucket to clean and leave the room smelling fresh.
– Clean carpets weekly using a vacuum with a good filter system such as a triple internal, HEPA or replaceable electrostatic filter system; alternatively use one that can be ducted outside.
– Once a month, thoroughly spray Bosisto’s Eucalyptus on carpets, curtains, rugs and soft furnishings – leave to settle for one-two hours then vacuum.
WHY did I find all of this important? As a mum of children with allergies all of this is important, but more so to help bring awareness on how much havoc these critters can cause.